Monday, January 24, 2011

Late Summer of 1998

While at a Rebecca St. James concert in Hudson Falls, New York, I heard Rebecca share about child sponsorship.  What she shared seemed like a neat idea, but wondered if we could afford a $24 a month commitment (Seriously, what was I thinking.  Less than $1 a day!).  During intermission, I went out to the Compassion table and began looking at the photos of children living in poverty.  I wondered how do you decide on which child.  They all needed a sponsor, an opportunity for an education, to be released from poverty, but most of all they needed HOPE.  While scanning the tables, I found a photo of a four-year old boy from Haiti with the same birth month as me.  Honestly, I didn't know much about Haiti and I probably didn't even realize where it was on the map.  I have never been very good with geography.  What do I remember most about my decision to sponsor Israel?  His eyes captured my heart and continue to, to this day.  This is where the journey began...

No comments:

Post a Comment